Re: [GF] initial slate - european part

Hi,

Martin Baulig wrote:

> > Ideally we should pick someone who'll later be on the
> > board of the European GF as well so we'll have a real
> > representative of GNOME Europe on the main board.
> >
> > I think, the most important thing is that we have
> > "European issues" represented in the main GF - for
> > instance things like to which shows etc. we go, which
> > kind of marketing we want to do, how much money we want
> > to spend for marketing and such.

Well, I think we need to think about the european member
of GF in a kind of provissional member that represent
the people that are working now in the start of the EGF.

> If we do this, we'll also have some more time to think
> about the european issues and to select someone for the
> board.

That's the question, try to not spend the time, we need to
start EGF. This is not a life membership.

> However, if we do the elections before LWE we have really
> limited time, so better let's go on.

Then the question is we must be the elections before LWE or
just make a provisional board until official elections.

> To summarize, for the moment, the primary goal is to get
> the foundation up and running.
>
> I think we can only get a larger acceptance of the GF if
> people feel like they're actually represented in it.

and the most important if the GF  is able  to make 'real' things from
the first day. Now we just did little steps ahead.

> So we need to give european people the feeling that this
> is not just a US institution but a thing for the whole
> GNOME community.
>
> In addition to this, the initial board of directors will
> have a whole lot of work during the first months and they
> may face rejection and bad faith especially from european
> people.

Come on when I think about the EGF and we do anything
in Europe, I cann't understand what kind of bad feelling
can we have if we are doing things. It will be EGF effort
with or without GF support.

> This makes it even more important for the initial board to
> give people the feeling that this is a thing for the whole
> GNOME community.

EGF are in the same boat, it is the same project, just
localized/specialiced in Europe.

> A lot of people I talked to here in germany and europe said
> that they dislike the way decisions are being made in the
> project at the moment because the steering committee was
> never elected and is also a pure american institution.

????

> This is one of the big tasks for the foundation.

Best Regards
Juantomás