Re: What is GNOME?

Kjartan Maraas <kmaraas@online.no> writes:

> First off, I think using a monetary fee as a means to "frighten
> away" those who don't care enough about GNOME to "make the right
> decisions" is wrong. This is about free software and money should
> _not_ be a requirement to be able to voice your opinion.

So what about kindly _asking_ people to donnate - say $250 a year -
to the FSF or the GNOME Foundation (once it's a tax-exempt charity)
when they're becoming members, but only _require_ this fee if you're
working for some kind of company and the company pays the fee for you ?

This means that people who're working on GNOME in their spare time
can still join for free, but people who're payed by companies will
need to pay the fee.

Hopefully, this'll have the side-effect that only such company people
will join the foundation who believe enough in Free Software (so that
their company is willing to donate money to the FSF).

--
Martin Baulig
martin@gnome.org (private)