Re: [Panel for next LWCE in New York...]

Chris DiBona <chris@valinux.com> writes:

> Don't read so much into this, I just want to put together something to let
> people know where gnome is going.
>
> Also, I hate to say it , but have you looked where a huge number of gnome
> hackers work nowadays? Red Hat, Helix, Eazel.

While this is true, GNOME is nontheless a community project. It's
certainly not the case that only hackers who work for these companies
are relevant. Your implied suggestion below of picking people by
company could be taken as kind of offensive in this light.

> Anyhow, the point is, I want a good panel to talk , authoritatively,
> on where gnome is going, Miguel should be on it, as should nat, now
> someone technical from Eazel should be on it too, who else? Owen Taylor?

While I'm sure Nat could give a lot of information about Helix Code's
business direction, I don't think he has too much special insight into
the plans for the foundation, or the technical direction of GNOME,
because recently he has been involved in these things principally in
his capacity as President of Helix Code, not as a GNOME hacker. This
is not intended as any slight to Nat - it's just that being an
authority on his business doesn't necessarily make him an autority on
GNOME. I wouldn't suggest Mike Boich or Matthew Szulik for this panel
either.

> Just give me names, don't be so sensitive, I have no intention of
> shuitting people out.

The relations between corporations and the community are a sensitive
issue right now for GNOME. Read the FUD on www.kde.org for
instance. If you're going to step in a minefiled, step carefully. :-)

I already posted a generous list of names, FWIW. Picking a balanced
list from those names should not be hard. I can give you info on
project and (where applicable) corporate affiliations for those
people, if you think that would help.

 - Maciej