What sort of Panel for next LWCE in New York...

Hi Maciej,

On 21 Aug 2000, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Chris DiBona <chris@valinux.com> writes:
> > Also, I hate to say it , but have you looked where a huge number of gnome
> > hackers work nowadays? Red Hat, Helix, Eazel.
>
> While this is true, GNOME is nontheless a community project. It's
> certainly not the case that only hackers who work for these companies
> are relevant. Your implied suggestion below of picking people by
> company could be taken as kind of offensive in this light.

	Perhaps we need to decide whether the panel is

	a) An advisory board beano in which companies participate, backs
are slapped and commitments made to Gnome

	or

	b) A developers panel where relevant hacking discussion can take
place.

	If it is a) then this is the wrong forum to discuss it, it should
be on the gnome-foundation list. If b) I would reccommend that it doesn't
matter _at all_ what company the panelists come from. Different
perspectives on technical solutions are valuable to the listners.

	I would also suggest that a) will not provide a very interesting (
to me ) panel whereas for b) it doesn't matter who chairs the thing, but I
would prefer the thing to be setup and run purely by hackers who have made
a substantial contribution to Gnome. [ similarly this is my hope for the
foundation board ].

	To re-iterate, I don't think we need outside help to be impartial
over technical issues, if there are differences of opinion they can be
expressed sensibly, informing everyone. Of course, because the whole
subject is rather exciting it is clearly good to have someone in control
to stop people talking at the end. Perhaps this discussion should move to
Martin's gnome-events-team list.

	Regards,

		Michael.