Minutes of the Board Meeting of March, 15th, 2016

= Minutes for Tuesday, March 15th 2016, 20:00 UTC =

Next meeting date Tuesday, March 22nd, 20:00 UTC

== Attending ==

 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Alexandre Franke
 * Cosimo Cecchi
 * Allan Day
 * Andrea Veri
 * Jeff F. T. (chairing)
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova

== Regrets ==

 * Shaun McCance
 * Andrea Veri

== Agenda ==

 * Next Advisory Board meeting planning
 * New meeting time for end of March
  * Reference: https://framadate.org/hgr3LbGPv7UEbHTB
 * Conference sponsorships
  * Volunteer to write sample contract for sponsors
  * Can someone else sign the contracts? Shaun is not always available
 * Tibit
 * Daniel's plea for improving GNOME translation tooling
 * GUADEC 2016 agreement between the Foundation and local legal entity
  * Minor rewording request and need to finish vote/possibly find someone who isn't Shaun to sign
 * GUADEC 2017 call for bids
  * Kat has additional comments that may have been missed last meeting, having planned the timeline for this
year
  * Reference: https://wiki.gnome.org/GUADEC/HowTo/Board/CallForBids

Ongoing:
 * Google Play account
 * Status of logo copyright
 * Meta-discussion on attracting new contributors
 * Sysadmin fundraising levels and perks
 * Trademark license agreement with Unixstickers
 * GUADEC 2017 call for bids
 * Tibit

== Minutes ==

 * Next Advisory Board meeting planning
  * We need to send an agenda, find dates and inform the advisory board
  * Allan also wrote a nice page/checklist for successful advisory board meetings
  * Still the same approach for the technical side (phone + slides) for now
  * ACTION: Rosanna will aid in scheduling for the meeting, based on the last discussion on the m-l
("Sheduling an adboard meeting" thread from Mar 1)
  * ACTION: Allan to help out with work on the agenda/contents of the meeting
 * New meeting time for end of March
  * Tentative new time would be on Mondays at 17h UTC from week 13
  * Evaluating additional time slots (later than 21h UTC)
  * Missing vote from Shaun
  * Reference: https://framadate.org/hgr3LbGPv7UEbHTB

 * Conference sponsorships
  * Volunteer to write sample contract for sponsors
   * ACTION: Kat to adapt a contract from previous years' conference brochures
  * Can someone else sign the contracts? Shaun is not always available
   * Jeff will be responsible for signing the contracts if Shaun is not available
   * We need someone to update the status of whether/which companies have been contacted
   * Kat mentions that the GNOME.Asia is being updated today, and GUADEC is up to date
   * ACTION: Jeff to chase the companies for a second time after the pages are up to date

 * Daniel's plea for improving GNOME translation tooling
  * We could begin a fundraiser to develop/improve a translation tool
  * Or we could organize a hackfest to improve the situation
  * For two consecutive years we had a student working on a GSoC project to write a new translation tool in
Vala, but the tool is still not complete and is not being maintained
  * There are also other existing tools that work today but need polish; other tools exist that are more
complete but they're not GNOME applications
  * Daniel should make a more concrete technical proposal/roadmap and come to the Board for support if there
is a request for money/fundraising
  * If noone volunteered so far to work on the problem, how would a hackfest make a difference?
  * We can also request help from our Advisory Board members
  * Having clear ideas of the current shortcomings would help with this plan
  * ACTION: Allan to get back to Daniel

 * GUADEC 2017 call for bids
  * Kat has additional comments that may have been missed last meeting, having planned the timeline for this
year
  * Reference: https://wiki.gnome.org/GUADEC/HowTo/Bod/CallForBids
  * Kat will take this over from Cosimo and will send something out within the next two weeks
  * Allan wants to help finding a friendlier tone for the call for bids, and will work with Kat

 * GUADEC 2016 agreement between the Foundation and local legal entity
  * Minor rewording request and need to finish vote/possibly find someone who isn't Shaun to sign
  * Vote passed on the m-l
  * Allan had two points on the m-l that Kat will implement in a new draft
  * ACTION: Kat will send the contract to Jeff for signature

== Ongoing ==
 * ED search update
  * 2015-12-01, No news received in recent weeks, mostly because of holidays
  * 2015-12-08, 3 candidates are going to have a couple of one hour interviews with ~2 members of the hiring
committee per interview. Scheduling of these metings is just beginning.
  * 2015-12-15 to 2015-01-12, No updates.
  * 2016-01-19
   * Committee has completed interview with two final candidates
   * They should have a final answer/proposal to the board within a few weeks
  * 2016-02-02, Expect more news this week - we'll start scheduling interviews soon
  * 2016-02-09
   * Sri from the ED committee wants to present to the Board at next week's meeting
   * A list of candidates that are deemed good and have been vetted by the committee will be presented at the
meeting
  * 2016-02-16, The ED Search committee converged on a single candidate
  * 2016-02-23, The item has been discussed during the meeting, details are available at
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2016-February/msg00003.html
  * 2016-03-14, Jonathan Blandford (jrb) has agreed to lead

 * Unixstickers
  * 2016-02-02
   * Allan has an action item to follow up with this
   * Kat put some information on the agreements page for similar cases
  * 2016-02-09, Allan drafted email - need to send that out
  * 2016-02-16, Allan has been in touch with them. Got a good response and sent a draft agreement document.
Will be having a call with them on Friday.
  * 2016-02-23 (excerpts taken from the mailing list)
   * Allan confirms the Unixstickers team read the draft trademark agreement and acknowledged it
   * 10% of the proceeds will be returned back as royalties
   * Only GNOME stickers are sold right now, the idea is to encourage them to also sell t-shirts and mugs
  * 2016-03-01, Allan followed up and is now waiting to hear back to Unixstickers
  * 2016-03-08, Allan to ask who will pay for postage

 * Google ad grant
  * 2016-02-02, Alexandre to follow up with the procedure to get registered
  * 2016-02-09 to 2016-02-23, No updates
  * 2016-03-01, Shaun will ask his contacts about TechSoup as joining the organization is required for us to
be recognized as a non-profit from Google

 * GUADEC contract
  * 2016-02-02, Kat will proceed adjusting the current draft to address the local oraganizer's requests
  * 2016-02-16, Kat will follow up and send the contract to the ML, we can vote there if needed
  * 2016-02-23, The item has been discussed during the meeting, details are available at
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2016-February/msg00003.html
  * 2016-03-15, The item has been discussed during the meeting, details are available at
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2016-March/msg00001.html

 * Next adboard meeting
  * 2016-02-09, ACTION: Shaun to send out email to find a good time
for the meeting
  * 2016-02-16, ACTION: Shaun to schedule the next meeting
  * 2016-03-15, The item has been discussed during the meeting, details are available at
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2016-March/msg00001.html

 * tibit (from the mailing list)
  * 2016-02-23, ACTION: Alexandre to investigate a way to eventually
include the Tibit donate button together with the existing ones
  * 2016-03-08, Alexandre fixed the broken Flattr image link url at wgo
  * 2016-03-15, Action item for Alexandre to get back to Carl still pending

 * Bitcoins donations data
  * Tobi is the only person with access to the Bitcoin donations data
  * 2016-02-23, ACTION: Alexandre to get in touch with him about this

=== Ongoing but stalled (no discussions / actions since more than a month) ===

 * Google Play account
  * 2015-12-01, ACTION: Alexandre to follow up with the Release Team about this
  * 2015-12-08, Alexandre mailed the Release Team today, still waiting for an answer.
  * 2015-12-15 to 2016-01-19, No updates.
  * 2016-02-02, Release team did not come to an agreement/conclusion. Unclear what next steps should be

 * Status of logo copyright
  * 2015-12-01, ACTION: Shaun to send out email to d-d-l with proposal
  * 2015-12-08 to 2016-01-19, No updates.
  * 2016-02-02, Shaun will try to pick it up this week

 * Meta-discussion on attracting new contributors -
https://etherpad.gnome.org/p/attracting-contributors-discussion
  * 2016-01-05, Item has been deferred.
  * 2016-02-09, Allan and Jeff have a list of ideas, we could rank them by feasibility/effectiveness and take
action on the first few

=== Ongoing but no director assigned ===

 * Sysadmin fundraising levels and perks (last discussion from
2016-01-05)
  * 2016-01-12, Awaiting for Andrea's reply
  * 2016-01-19
   * Andrea replied back to Jeff
   * Jeff to bring the item back during any of the upcoming meetings
  * 2016-02-23, Jeff un-assigned the action item from himself, no current assignee

== Nice to have ==

 * Web page for prior pants winners
  * Shaun and Allan to do this

 * Contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
  * Kat to draft this

 * Gifts situation
   * Inventory management: some stuff we have heaps of, some we run out of stock quickly; consider an
on-demand production service
   * Christian to investigate

 * Licensing of artwork and visual assets
  * Engagement team doesn't always licence photos on gnome.org and soon. We need guidelines for them to
follow.
  * Allan and Sri to draft guidelines and discuss withthe Engagement Team

 * Privacy campaign funds
  * Previous plan was for Kat to propose privacy bounty T&C/rules for review
  * Cosimo to follow up with interested parties on how to spend the Privacy campaign funds

 * GNOME logo use by podiatrist - possible trademark infringement
  * Shaun to check the trademark details for the GNOME logo and update the licensing page on the website
(obsolete)

 * Money raised for defense against Groupon
  * Kat to draft a call for Free Desktop-style hackfests which would be sponsored with money raised for
defence against Groupon

 * Logo usage for t-shirts
  * Allan to carry on with the process and follow up and have some general guidelines written down for future
cases

 * Standard code of conduct for GNOME annual events (so we don't have to reinvent the wheel each year)
  * Cosimo to follow up in the upcoming meetings and prepare a version of the CoC to be finally considered
final over all the GNOME yearly events

 * Privacy policy for GNOME services
  * Current draft is at https://wiki.gnome.org/Foundation/Privacy
  * Sysadmin Team's NDA should also be covered when dealing with this item
  * Andrea to write up the policy

 * gnome-software privacy issues
  * Software sends information to third parties; could have legal implications for GNOME
  * Allan to look at this

 * Photography policy for GNOME conferences
  * Cosimo to draft a proposal to discuss on foundation-list

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

 * VOTE: GUADEC agreement between foundation and LinuxTag e.V.
  * +1 Allan, Kat, Jeff, Alexandre, Cosimo
  * VOTE PASSED

--

Cheers,

Andrea