Re: Criteria for importing

Hello Conscious User,

> > From what I have seen, this sort of accidentally worked for those
> > versions where the md5sum duplicate detection worked.  Apparently
> > the path / uri never was used --- but it most definitely ought
> > to...
>
> If you're talking about the "detect duplicates automatically"
> checkbox, I should mention I never used it. I always assumed it
> meant "detect duplicates among those pics about to be imported"
> (thus, I assumed that checking whether a pic is already in the db or
> not would be done before the md5 part)
>
> Also, even if for some reason the option for detecting duplicates
> was enabled despite the checkbox being not checked, I should mention
> that F-Spot always detected which pics were not already in the db
> VERY SWIFTLY, so I find hard to believe that md5 was being done.

Ok, then I'm baffled.

> Is there anything else F-Spot could be using besides md5 and path?

Well, depends a bit on what you would consider a duplicate.  Obviously
"just" comparing the path wouldn't be enough (could be a new file
under the path of a previous file, so you probably would want size and
date to match too, at the very least), but in all context that I ever
encountered, a duplicate either means:

a) same (image, or image+header) content, different path
b) same physical file (i.e. same inode, which f-spot doesn't cache, if
   I remember correctly), or at the very least same path --- plus some
   more attributes.

So no, I don't think so.  You are having a "same path" problem, do
you?  Have you checked the DB for duplicates?

sqlite3 .gnome2/f-spot/photos.db

and then

SELECT * FROM photos, photos AS dup WHERE photos.uri==dup.uri AND photos.id != dup.id;

or somesuch for the old (7-16.5) DB version (slow!), and presumably
something like

select * from photos, photos as dup where photos.base_uri==dup.base_uri photos.filename == dup.filename and photos.id != dup.id;

for version 17 and 18.

Sven
--