Re: Synchronizing

Hi,

Just thought of sharing my experience with syncronisation and f-spot.

On Jan 10, 2008 7:44 PM, Richard Krone wrote:
> Currently I stick with web based albums for the ability to work on my albums
> on any terminal but would like to start seeing this type of thing in F-Spot.
>
> Are there currently efforts to do this? Has the issue even come up? This
> type of feature is something that would set F-Spot apart from the Picassa's
> of the world.

Unison (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/) could help you
with this easily. I use it for synchronising my laptop with my
desktop. I did not know about Conduit and would surely try it out
sometime (although I am perfectly happy with Unison for the moment).

One problem I had with synchronising pictures for f-spot appears when
one wants to share photos selectively. For example, I would like all
photos from my laptop to appear on my desktop, _except_ for those
tagged as "hidden," which I'd like to leave on the laptop. I could not
do this satisfactorily, because information about these photos reaches
the desktop f-spot via photos.db, and then if I prevent Unison from
copying the picture files themselves, I end up with empty thumbnail
fields, which then I have to clear by hand (not desirable).

The problem worsened when later I started copying all my pictures to
the ~/Photos directory. Now I couldn't even pick the "hidden" pictures
from ordinary pictures, for preventing Unison from copying them.

I've been wanting to solve this for some time now. It will be
wonderful if somebody could help.

Regards,
Girish.

--