Re: I'm trying to learn Mono specifically to contribute to f-spot, advice?

There is no solution file for F-Spot.  Some people have written and
contributed some (sorry, I don't have a link), but there are none
distributed with the code from the repository.

Keep in mind that you don't need to use MonoDevelop to work with C#
and Mono code.  GEdit and Vim both have syntax highlighting for C#.
You could also try creating your own solution file.

Given that this question was asked over a year and a half ago
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/f-spot-list/2005-August/msg00097.html),
I don't think we will be getting a solution file included in the
source (unless there were enough demand.)

Also note that the search for the mailinglist archives seems to be
broken (at least I can never get it to work).  You can get around this
by some google hackery:
"site:http://mail.gnome.org/archives/f-spot-list/ monodevelop"
That search string will find any thread that contains "monodevelop" in
the f-spot archives.  That's how I found the thread above.

Good luck!