Re: f-spot to f-spot

Steve,

I think your idea of the export/import function is the best approach as it is non intrusive, does not pose a threat to "break" the image file nor does it alter the file in any way (so other programs see the original image and the exported one as "the same file") and it lets other program to import the files without having to deal with extra metadata that could break the import.

I would see it as either a 1 kb file per exported image file containing all its metadata (tags, comments, [insert idea here]) that would be named by the image file name with a different extension, or a single file which f-spot would prompt for upon import.

Also, this approach leaves room for other photo organizers to eventually support the metadata file so that the metadata could be shared among different programs.

My 2 cents!
Math