Re: Tag search for all / any tags

On 05/10/06, Warren Baird <photogeekmtl gmail com> wrote:
Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 05/10/06, Warren Baird <photogeekmtl gmail com> wrote:
>> It seems like a hybrid solution might be best -  default to AND between
>> top level categories and OR within them, but provide a relatively easy
>> way to switch that default on the fly (modifier key, RMB menu, something
>> like that)
>
> This sounds backwards. I think that you meant OR between top level
> categories, and AND within them.

I don't think so - I'm pretty sure AND between and OR within is what
I've heard discussed here before - and it makes more sense to me
intuitively.   If I select "San Francsico" in "Places" and "Butterflies"
and "Flowers" in "Things".   I think it's more likely that I'd want to
see all pictures of "Butterflies or flowers taken in San Francisco", or
"San Francisco AND (Butterflies or Flowers)".

Or am I missing something?

I'd think that you want to see photos with pictures of butterflies and
flowers in San Fransisco- that's AND behaviour across the board.

A logical way of thinking about it is with no tags selected, we see
the whole library (current behaviour). If we are searching for a
particular photo, we click a tag and see only the portion of the
library containing that tag (current behaviour). Another click, and
only a portion of what was shown before. Each tag click further
narrows down our selection until it is easy to find the photo we want.

> So what way do you propose to do that? You say that you want it done
> easily, without using an advanced dialog. What UI solution do you
> propose?

I can think of several
   - modifier keys held while clicking on the tag - shift reverses the
meaning (AND->OR), and ctrl make it NOT

I'm all for that. It would have to be cearly documented (my job
anyway) and also in a tool-tip.

   - RMB menus or other manipulation on the bar that shows all of the
icons - I think I saw something like that in the prototype code.
   - buttons on the UI:  This might be the most clear, but might also
require more clicks to get things done.

The right approach might be to do all of the above.

Warren