Re: Tag search for all / any tags

On 05/10/06, Warren Baird <photogeekmtl gmail com> wrote:
Dotan Cohen wrote:
 > On 04/10/06, Warren Baird <photogeekmtl gmail com> wrote:
 >> I think we need to make it easy for the user to decide whether each term
 >> should be AND/OR and not try to guess which one they want.  I've added a
 >> number of top level tags, and I wouldn't always want 'AND' to be used
 >> across them.
 >
 > That's why I mentioned that the user could define the behaviour inside
 > each top-level tag. Explaination below.

I don't think that's enough...   what I mean is that whether I use
AND/OR has relatively little to do with the top-level category the tags
are in.  I agree that it's probably *more* likely that AND is the right
choice between top-level categories and OR within a category - but there
are definitely times where that isn't the right choice - and it'd be
nice if there's a way to get the opposite behaviour without having to go
  to the advanced search...

 > Yes, it might be confusing to have different behaviour for different
 > conditions. A simple default of AND might then be best.

I doubt it...   I expect that on average, OR will be the right guess
more often - that's the behaviour we have now, basically...

 > 1) In the Edit Tag dialog of a top-level tag, there could be a
 > checkbox that makes searches within the top-level tag revert to OR
 > behaviour. Additionally, in the Preferences there could be an option
 > to have searches across top-level tags revert to OR as well.

I think this would be pretty confusing to the naive user...

 > 2) Just have everything AND, and when users want something more
 > powerful, they can fire up the Advanced Search dialog. There's a patch
 > for that, that worked rather well I believe.

I think this would be moderately un-useful...  most useful queries need
a mix of AND/OR - forcing the user to go to the dialog to get both
AND/OR would be annoying...

It seems like a hybrid solution might be best -  default to AND between
top level categories and OR within them, but provide a relatively easy
way to switch that default on the fly (modifier key, RMB menu, something
like that)

This sounds backwards. I think that you meant OR between top level
categories, and AND within them.

With the current 'OR' based filtering, I find I miss NOT almost as often
as I miss AND...   providing a way to do that easily also would be
fantastic...

So what way do you propose to do that? You say that you want it done
easily, without using an advanced dialog. What UI solution do you
propose?

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com