Re: Tag search for all / any tags

On 04/10/06, Warren Baird <photogeekmtl gmail com> wrote:
Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Instead of cluttering up bugzilla, I'll state here that the AND
> operator sounds most logical for people and keywords, but not for
> places or events. The reason is that a photo cannot be in two places
> at once- so the OR operator is logical. Maybe top-level tags could be
> assigned (by the user) to default to AND or OR internally? I think
> that searches across top-level tags should be AND.

Wasn't it you who said you didn't want the app to do anything
automatically for you?  :-)

Yup, and nothing automated in my proposal!

I think we need to make it easy for the user to decide whether each term
should be AND/OR and not try to guess which one they want.  I've added a
number of top level tags, and I wouldn't always want 'AND' to be used
across them.

That's why I mentioned that the user could define the behaviour inside
each top-level tag. Explaination below.

I think it would be confusing to have different behaviour depending on
what top level category the tags are in.  If you use the text based
searching (where you type the names of the tags), you might not even
know what the top level category is...

Yes, it might be confusing to have different behaviour for different
conditions. A simple default of AND might then be best.

If we want to give the user the option or an OR search we can go one
of two routes:

1) In the Edit Tag dialog of a top-level tag, there could be a
checkbox that makes searches within the top-level tag revert to OR
behaviour. Additionally, in the Preferences there could be an option
to have searches across top-level tags revert to OR as well.

2) Just have everything AND, and when users want something more
powerful, they can fire up the Advanced Search dialog. There's a patch
for that, that worked rather well I believe.

Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.com