Re: RAW/Versioning improvement ideas

Hi George,

Thanks for contributing.  Have you ever tried UFRaw (http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/)?

I, too, am a professional programmer, and I don't know about you, but I have some spare time I could contribute to improve the RAW handling capabilities of F-Spot (as well as other capabilities).  If we can decide on a direction for how this could be implemented, I am ready to contribute.

Anyone here who can get the ball rolling on this?  I don't want to set out and implement a solution only to see the patch it denied for whatever reason.

Peter

On 11/1/06, George Talusan <george convolve ca> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 12:24:25PM -0500, Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> > Maybe it's about time to hear from all F-Spot users who shoot to RAW
> > what workflow is ideal for them?
>
> Adobe Lightroom. So far it is the only that statisfies for various reason:
> 1/ RAW + JPEG is handled properly
> 2/ it generate sidecar XMP files and NEVER rewrite an original file
> 3/ its keywording is efficient. and see #2 for its persistence
> 4/ include RAW processing
> 5/ allow organizing pictures into collections, separately from the
> folders (called shoot) and tags (called keywords)

Sorry for not replying to the original thread.  I only joined the
mailing list when I saw this while lurking in the mail archives.

I'm a semi-professional photographer with a strong background in
programming (programming finances for my photography addiction).  My
current workflow is as follows:

1.  Import RAW's using F-Spot.
2.  Tag my photos and tag as Favourites the ones that I want to process
3.  Copy Photo Location for selected Favourites and launch Bibble
4.  Process RAWs using Bibble
5.  Export JPEGs to Gimp
6.  Sharpen/Dodge/Burn and scale to size

The finished product I will import into F-Spot as a new version of the
originating RAW.  I'll push it to PicasaWeb, a gallery, a blog, or to
folders when clients need a CD.

My workflow is fairly efficient for being Linux based but it could
improve.  The problem is that there are way too many applications in my
pipeline.  Ideally I'd like to just use F-Spot -- it seems good enough
for JPEGs just as Picasa is.  Versioning the RAW for each significant
step would be ideal -- similar to layers in GIMP, or an XML file like in
GEGL.

Overall I can live with my current set-up however my GIMP XCF files need
to live outside of F-Spot.  I'd like them to be versioned in F-Spot as well.

george