Re: RAW/Versioning improvement ideas

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 11/1/06, Peter Finley wrote:
>
>> Add some code to automatically detect converted RAW files during the import
>> process. For instance, say there is a RAW file called 'img_0001.cr2'. Most
>> often a file converted from this will retain the same base filename, such as
>> 'img_0001.jpeg'. During the import process, this could be detected and the
>> JPEG file could be automatically added as a version of the RAW file. Again,
>> this suffers from the same limitation of #2.
>
> I have a very bad feeling about this approach.
>
> Let's have a look at workflow. At what stage do you want JPEG?

When the camera generated it. One thing I consider gold is the JPEG as
generated by the camera. It brings a reference in the intent of the
picture result. But since you process RAW you are likely be willing to
use the processed RAW.
Note that currently f-spot consider RAW + JPEG as 2 different pictures,
which is just wrong.

> Maybe it's about time to hear from all F-Spot users who shoot to RAW
> what workflow is ideal for them?

Adobe Lightroom. So far it is the only that statisfies for various reason:
1/ RAW + JPEG is handled properly
2/ it generate sidecar XMP files and NEVER rewrite an original file
3/ its keywording is efficient. and see #2 for its persistence
4/ include RAW processing
5/ allow organizing pictures into collections, separately from the
folders (called shoot) and tags (called keywords)

Off course it is completely proprietary and does not run on Linux, but
with #2 I know at least all of the keywording / tagging is safe and will
be easy to migrate, unlike migrating from f-spot to digikam, for example
(sqlite conversion is the only path I see)

I haven't tried Aperture yet because of the insane hardware requirements
and the fact that there is no trial version (I use lightroom public
beta), but from all the information I have gathered, it also does
everything of the above, with a different UI philosophy and other
organization model, including creating *projects*, etc.

Hub