Re: RAW/Versioning improvement ideas

On 11/2/06, Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:
On 11/1/06, Peter Finley wrote:

> Add some code to automatically detect converted RAW files during the import
> process. For instance, say there is a RAW file called 'img_0001.cr2'. Most
> often a file converted from this will retain the same base filename, such as
> 'img_0001.jpeg'. During the import process, this could be detected and the
> JPEG file could be automatically added as a version of the RAW file. Again,
> this suffers from the same limitation of #2.

I have a very bad feeling about this approach.

Let's have a look at workflow. At what stage do you want JPEG?

1. When you want to send files to photolab?
2. When you want to export photos to Flickr/PicasaWeb/etc.?
3. At some other stage?
[snip]

Maybe it's about time to hear from all F-Spot users who shoot to RAW
what workflow is ideal for them?

Hi Alexandre,

My perspective is that the jpeg should be a version of the RAW file.
Sure, I'll digitally enhance via the RAW file, but the jpeg is useful
to remember my original intent for the shot.

Michael... (s/w developer + photographer-wannabe)
--
Michael Davies           "Do what you think is interesting, do somthing that
michael msdavies net      you think is fun and worthwhile, because otherwise