Re: [Evolution] Discourse and the situation for Mailman lists hosted by Gnome.org

On 2022-10-23 at 16:53 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
What I can't understand is that all the Fedora lists, some of which
am on, continue to be run via Mailman, and presumably by staff that
work for RedHat. This doesn't look to me like a RedHat decision.

I've posted a question to the Fedora Users list:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users lists fedoraproject
org/thread/XXRBCEM3UQSLPPITR5L27HRPER3HZZHM/

Note that the list also has a web interface (HyperKitty), which is
different from Discourse. Hooray for consistency.

poc

hyperkitty is part of mailman3.

[ mailman3 has a modular approach, hyperkitty is the module which shows
the archives and lets you interact with them. In theory you could use a
different archiver than hyperkitty while keeping mailman core (but
hyperkitty is the only implementation so far). ]

While mailman3 interface was designed to be more forum-like, trying to
make it attractive, it's still a good old mailing list under the hood.

I understand that gnome no longer wants to support mailman2.
However, I would have expected to upgrade to mailman3. Yes, it is a
major version upgrade. And yes, gnome has lots of mailing lists.
Nonetheless, it *IS* a supported upgrade, and many other organizations
(including ones with loads of mailing lists) have been able to do it.