Re: [Evolution] Discourse and the situation for Mailman lists hosted by Gnome.org

On Sun, 2022-10-23 at 16:40 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sun, 2022-10-23 at 15:35 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
I have worked with a number of professional organizations that
are
maintained primarily by volunteer staff and effort.  The "powers
that
be" are usually people who are doing a lot of work for free --
even
if
the people at the very top are being paid a little.  Sometimes
that's
because they believe in a "cause," sometimes because they like
being
the expert at something, sometimes because they like being a
useful
part of an organization.   But whatever the gain, it's still for
free.

Except Gnome is a Foundation and it is supported by a large number
of
very large tech companies. Most of the infrastructure is provided
by
Redhat and they have a large presence on the Gnome Foundation
board.

What I can't understand is that all the Fedora lists, some of which I
am on, continue to be run via Mailman, and presumably by staff that
work for RedHat. This doesn't look to me like a RedHat decision.

I've posted a question to the Fedora Users list:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users lists fedoraproject
org/thread/XXRBCEM3UQSLPPITR5L27HRPER3HZZHM/

Note that the list also has a web interface (HyperKitty), which is
different from Discourse. Hooray for consistency.

poc