Re: [Evolution] Support for Oauth2 and Office365

On Sat, 2022-11-19 at 22:49 -0600, Anymous Japhering via evolution-list
wrote:
On 11/18/22 18:53, Michael Kenny via evolution-list wrote:
I believe You have to use Exchange Web Services, not IMAP and the
server address is https://outlook.office365.com/ews/exchange.asmx

Once that authenticates click check for Supported Types and it will
pull Outh2.  You should get a pop up somewhere it that process to enter
your Office 365 info.

I'll be a little bit traitorist ....

when Evolution fails, I fall back to Thunderbird, which works just
fine with Office365 using IMAP and Oauth2

Yes. OAuth2 just gives a token that you use instead of a password. The
critical thing is to get a hold of that token, and Evolution, being not
just an email client, goes down the route of providing a full O365
experience that most corporate people will expect (calendar,
addressbook, delegate/shared accounts, meeting invites, etc. etc.); it
comes with the added benefit that for people who don't work in a
corporate environment, it is a perfectly acceptable email interface.

If you think that Evolution should provide OAuth2 for IMAP in these
cases, then file a feature request.  But my experience of using both
EWS and IMAP with O365 is that IMAP feels like an afterthought, a "oh I
suppose we should provide some form of imap interface" type thing. I
wouldn't be at all surprised if IMAP becomes a deprecated O365
interface at some point in the future, much like app passwords are.

Just bite the bullet and setup EWS in Evolution.

P.