Re: [Evolution] What do I do now? V2

On Wed, 2022-11-02 at 20:23 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
One thing I can say is that I would not take on the responsibility
of
managing a new list on my own. Moderating the current list is not a
particularly onerous task because much of the infrastructure is
provided by Gnome and we interact with it using a Mailman web page.
Also, it's shared among three people. However anyone who proposes a
new
list should be willing to take on the task of administering it.

This already been taken care of.

It hasn't been "taken care of". You have indeed set up a list, but
others have also mentioned alternatives. What I would hope is that
there be some agreement to avoid fracturing the community more than is
necessary.

If people choose to disregard what has been done for them, and simply
keep discussing, and not doing anything about it, then that is their
choice.

I will not again mention on this list, that a mailing list has been
set
up, by someone willing to administer it, to which, so far, only about
thirty people have subscribed.

Not mentioning it is hardly the best way to get sign-ups. I confess
that with the multiple discussions around this in the past couple of
weeks I'd actually forgotten about it (I've also been ill). No doubt
some others are in the same position.

It is clear that the vast majority simply do not want a mailing list.

I disagree. I think the majority is waiting to see what the majority
wants. This is not uncommon in communities where most people are fairly
passive participants. I also that your own first post on this list
appears to be dated October 23.

And, with that, I will not mention it again on this list.

The new list that was set up, has been, now, mentioned enough, by me,
on this list.

Do you envisage some decision process for any proposed policy changes,
or do you intend to be Benevolent Dictator For Life? What about
moderation? Is that going to be only you?

I'd also question the phrase "the gnomes" in your list's description
page. Perhaps a more diplomatic phrasing would avoid needless sniping.

It may well turn out that your list is the most frictionless option,
and you do have "first mover" advantage, but I think more people should
chip in here.

All the best.

poc