Re: [Evolution] Connectivity warning

On 2022-07-06 at 22:44 +0000, Jon Gerdes wrote:
Dear all

I'm not sure where to go to make interface suggestions so I'll start
here.

I use Evo on my laptop to connect to an MS Exchange via EWS and auth
via Kerberos.  I can be on a customer site or at
home or in the office.  I can be connected via a VPN and I use IPv4
and 6.  I also suspend/resume.  Basically I treat my
laptop the same way that a Windows user does - that's the whole
point.  For whatever reason, I'm having snags with Samba
and winbind refreshing Kerb tickets properly.  That's nothing to do
with Evo and evo-ews but the side effects are really
annoying.

The "Failed to connect" bar at the top of the message list is a right
old pain for me.  I understand that making it
prominent is desirable for people who need a right old kick in the
visuals but it makes the main part of Evo jump up and
down in response to the many button clicks I need to clear the
warnings.

MS Outlook puts the connectivity indicator down in the bottom right
of a status bar and keeps it at a stable size.  I
don't really care where it is but it should not cause nearly all of
the interface to shift around the screen when I'm
having connectivity "issues".

Cheers
Jon

Hello Jon

This list is fine.

This is very similar to what was raised last week:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2022-June/msg00088.html

As Pete said back then, it is shown as a banner because people missed
the online indicator (bottom left).

Milan suggested a couple of ways to cheat by making evolution think it
is online even if it's not
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2022-June/msg00088.html

I haven't checked if this message has a suitable class, it might be
possible to set a css override with a display: hidden.

Of course, you could still have issues derived to evolution not being
able to connect to the server.

I'm a bit suspicious that the evolution error is actually derived from
the winbind one. I suspect it may be that your system ends up  confused
with the proper route to your internal servers, which then causes
errors both to winbind and evolution.

Regarding kerberos ticket refreshes, I had issues as well in that the
machine didn't renew them automatically. I managed to 'solve' it by
running  kinit -R  with cron at a suitable interval. YMMV.

Best regards