Re: [Evolution] Strange result from copying

On 2022-01-17 at 13:30 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Yes, true of all applications, all platforms: Copy-n-paste from web
browsers is broken.

I have no issue copying from nytimes.com using firefox and pasting into
evolution. What firefox version are you using?

Also there are security issues from copy-n-paste from web browsers.

I bounce-paste everything from a web browser through my text editor.
That is the only way, there is no other solution to this problem, the
problem is web browsers.

Both applications (the one where you copy and the one where it is
pasted) will negotiate the format they prefer. From firefox to the mail
composer that should probably be html (probably also in Plain mode), so
that heading, format, hyperlinks, etc. are preserved.

This is /supposed/ to give you a better result, although I beg to
disagree on some cases (for instance copying from libreoffice calc
produces images in evolution not tables).

An intermediate paste through a plain text editor forces a text-only
negotiation, and thus avoid whatever mixup is happening in what they
are agreeing to. It looks as if the browser got utf-8 but it got
interpreted as utf-16.

I can even copy the mojibake from your mail and convert it back to
something readable with iconv -f utf-8 -t utf-16:

��<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-
8">Biden took aim at those who would lower prices by breaking the
buying
power of the working class. “If car prices are too high right now,
there
 are two solutions,” Biden said. “You increase the supply of cars by
making more of them, or you reduce demand for cars by making
Americans
poorer. That’s the choice. Believe it or not, there’s a lot of people
in
 the second camp.”

(those two initial bytes are 'ff fe', a BOM mark)

Best regards