[Evolution] Strange result from copying

I intended to copy a small piece of text from the Firefox to a message being composed, namely (the result of copying from Firefox to Vi, then from Vi to Evolution):
Biden took aim at those who would lower prices by breaking the buying power of the working class. “If car prices are too high right now, there are two solutions,” Biden said. “You increase
the supply of cars by making more of them, or you reduce demand for cars by making Americans poorer. That’s the choice. Believe it or not, there’s a lot of people in the second camp.”

This is what got pasted to evolution (the result of copying directly from the NY Times; copy and paste; and highlight, center-clidk yield the same result):
洼瑥⁡瑨灴攭畱癩∽潣瑮湥⵴祴数•潣瑮湥㵴琢硥⽴瑨汭※档牡敳㵴瑵ⵦ∸䈾摩湥琠潯楡瑡琠潨敳眠潨眠畯摬氠睯牥瀠楲散⁳祢戠敲歡湩⁧桴⁥畢楹杮ਠ潰敷⁲景琠敨眠牯楫杮挠慬獳‮胢䦜⁦慣⁲牰捩獥愠敲琠潯栠杩⁨楲桧⁴潮ⱷ琠敨敲 牡⁥睴潳畬楴湯ⱳ胢₝楂敤慳摩‮胢妜畯椠据敲獡⁥桴⁥畳灰祬漠⁦慣獲戠⁹洊歡湩⁧潭敲漠⁦桴浥‬牯礠畯爠摥捵⁥敤慭摮映牯挠牡⁳祢洠歡湩⁧流牥捩湡⁳瀊潯敲⹲吠慨馀⁳桴⁥档楯散‮敂楬癥⁥瑩漠⁲潮ⱴ琠敨敲胢玙愠氠瑯漠⁦数灯敬椠੮琠敨猠捥湯⁤慣灭鶀
Any ideas.  I fear (and hope) that this problem can't be reproduced.
System is:
Operating System: Fedora Linux 35
KDE Plasma Version: 5.23.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.89.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.15.14-200.fc35.x86_64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4600

--
Sincerely Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh pacbell net>

	The world is so full of a number of things
	That we should all be as happy as kings.
	-- Robert Lewis Stevenson