Re: [Evolution] How to restore Evolution backup into flatpak environment?

On Mon, 2022-02-21 at 12:46 +0100, Matthias Kuntze wrote:
evolution-backup-Message: 12:22:27.865: First result 0
tar: Child died with signal 11
Failed to get the memory usage

        Hi,
the above says the decompression failed due to a segmentation fault
signal. It's inside the 'tar' call, out of the evolution hands. I'd
expect the evolution-backup is able to recover from such state, rather
than killing the whole desktop, but I do not know what that crash could
cause. It also explains why you do not get anything restored, the tar
didn't get that far.

I tried it here and it was able to restore the data for me, though my
.tar.gz files are very small, less than 15KB.

I did notice a short freeze of the GUI, but it was really short and
there was no tar claim at all. It can be the problem is with the file
size, or it had been corrupted in some way. I do not know.

You can restore at least some settings (like the accounts and such) by
manually unpacking the data into the corresponding folders [1]. They do
not match when you look on it from the host system, but you can see the
corresponding directories:

   ~/.cache       is /home/$USER/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/cache
   ~/.config      is /home/$USER/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/config
   ~/.local/share is /home/$USER/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/data

(the ~/.cache is unused in the backup).

You need to fix the paths in the extracted files. My simple backup had
the old path only in a single .config/evolution/sources/local.source
file (consult what you've set there before the manual restore).

I suggest to run:

    $ flatpak kill org.gnome.Evolution

before playing with the files and to copy/backup the existing setup
(/home/$USER/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution) if you've there anything
important.

        Bye,
        Milan

[1] https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html