Re: [Evolution] Restoring Evolution

On Wed, 2022-08-31 at 00:22 +0800, Netsol.link wrote:
I would support this, though I'm sure some people might be upset
about
it. No-one expects their browser to have a built-in backup method,
so
why should their email system? I don't think other MUAs do this.

poc
___
You right some of us maybe a bit put-off if this function was to be
removed. I use it sparingly (2 or 3 times a year) as a backup of
emails
and contacts. I also regularly trim my emails to keep the file size
small and when I do a backup, I delete the oldest one so I only ever
have 2 backup files.
I have also used backup/restore to transfer from one computer to
another usually without any issues. I once got into trouble but it
was
my one fault, because I stupidly backed-up from a newer version and
tried restored to an older version! (different distros have different
versions in their repos!?). I got out of that one because I also
regularly 'image' my drive (using Rescuezilla). I don't use a backup
utility as my data is mostly not critical and does not change that
much
(I'm retired)

I'm also retired, but I still run a nightly backup.

As for other MUAs I don't know about Linux once, but, coming from
Windows, MS Oultlook keeps everything in one file (.pst) so it's easy
to just copy this file to a backup drive, no need for a
backup/restore
function.
Unfortunately none of that helps the OP with his corrupted backup - I
have not enough knowledge to offer any advice - sorry.

It's simple to get the same result as the current Backup function by
just running a tar command on the command line. Perhaps that should be
made explicit in the Help, with appropriate caveats, and the function
removed from the UI to avoid misleading the user.

poc