Re: [Evolution] Keeping email on the server

So the first thing the ISP did was to send me an email asking for the
email that triggered the blocking. Well, I did not have it. I thought
perhaps I could find it, but I was unsuccessful.

Furthermore, they wanted me to send that email in .eml format, and
included instructions for putting it into .eml format. One option was:

Email client:
1. Highlight the message in your email client.
2. Right-click on the message and select "Save As..."
3. Choose Mail/Mail Files (*.eml).
4. Click Save.

Of course, I not only couldn't find the message, but could not find a
way in Evolution to save it as .eml.

.eml is a Microsoft speak for a single message in a file - it is RFC822
format, which is basically what an MBOX file is. So save the file as
MBOX and change the file extension to .eml - they won't know the
difference :-)

Not only that, but the copy in 'Sent' appears to not have a full set of
headers.

It won't because the version in 'Sent' is saved there by your MUA
before being sent to the server.  The mail servers add lots of headers
as mail transits through them.  Some servers will automatically save
the message to a sent folder (Gmail will do that), but it will still
not have *all* the headers.

They have restored my ability to send email from Evolution, but not
knowing what their criteria for identifying spam is, I fear that I may
use a word like 'Hello' in the subject line once too often and be
barred again.

As I said in another thread, ISPs are not keen on divulging their spam
limits and criteria in case you craft things to get around their
filters. If they don't fit your (legitimate) sending pattern, then I
suspect that it would be better to use a different mail provider.

I guess it really isn't urgent that I figure out what to do, other than
never emptying my trash, then hoping that I can recover the email that
causes the next blocking, and then hoping that it has a complete set of
headers, and that I can save it in .eml format.

You could try to CC:/BCC: yourself on the emails, then at least you
have more chance of getting a saved email with headers. (There's an
option to do that in Evolution under "Composing Messages" in the
account editor.)  But if they are blocking you at SMTP time, then the
mail won't get far enough to even send you the BCC:.  Your ISP can't
expect full headers if they won't let the mail get that far.  I suspect
the instructions they gave you are generic ones for when people say
"Why is this email in my spam folder" not when you are the source that
is being blocked.

P.