Re: [Evolution] Evolution and gmail

Greetings!

        Thanks for the replies.

        Also, I appreciate the discussion but it has gone off on a tangent. How
can I convince Evolution that I want it to use gmail with POP?

On Mon, 2022-08-15 at 17:50 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Mon, 2022-08-15 at 17:24 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

It may well be that it is a work account that uses gmail.  But I think
it's naive to think that using POP to remove the mail from Google means
that Google will forget about the content or that they hadn't already
got tons of info from it before you even saw it in your Inbox.

        That's exactly my case. I'm using this particular account because I
have no choice on the matter.

        Also, I _know_ they are probably monitoring my incoming mail anyway;
but at least this way I can use another SMTP server so my outgoing traffic
doesn't go through their servers.

I totally understand a desire for privacy and keeping data away from
the likes of Google, bit I think using POP for this reason brings
horses and stable doors to mind.

        I'm not sure I understand the allegory; but I'd rather not stay
connected to a server to access my email. Having it stored locally and only
connect to a server to send or receive fits my workflow better.

Cheers,
Francisco