Re: [Evolution] Use evolution to send out a list of messages from the command line

On Mon, 2021-09-06 at 22:49 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2021-09-06 at 13:09 -0400, dfc via evolution-list wrote:
On Mon, 2021-09-06 at 18:46 +0200, Andre Klapper via evolution-list
wrote:
On Mon, 2021-09-06 at 12:05 -0400, dfc via evolution-list wrote:
Is it feasible to use evolution to send out messages one at a
time
via a shell script?

I realize the evolution is closely tied to the GUI.

Evolution isn't tied to a GUI. It is a GUI application.

I would like to be able to process small lists of email and store
copies in my Outbox just as if I had sent them, one at a time,
via
the GUI.

If you use a GUI anyway, why not use Evolution?
Could you please elaborate more on your specific use case?
Why is "one at a time" so important?

My workflow involves sending out a message that has content that
varies for each recipient (e.g. say I was reporting homework grades
each member of a class of 40 students). I could do this painfully in
the gui. However, I have a script that substitutes the appropriate
numbers, name, etc. into a template to create the appropriate
personalized message for each student. I would also like the script
add a separate/unique file to each outgoing message as an attachment.

I might do this with the unix mail but I would really like to keep
the
workflow within the framework of evolution.

I've used 'sendEmail', available in the Fedora repo:

Description  : SendEmail is a lightweight, completely command line
based, SMTP e-mail
             : client. It was designed to be used in bash scripts,
batch files, Perl
             : programs and web sites, but is also quite useful in many
other contexts.
             :
             : SendEmail is written in Perl and is unique in that it
requires no special
             : modules. It has a straight forward interface, making it
very easy to use.

poc

Apologies, I was forgetting that this isn't a Fedora-only list. The URL
for sendEmail is:

http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/

poc