Re: [Evolution] Rules bug?

On Mon, 2021-07-26 at 06:49 -0400, David Frier wrote:
On Mon, 2021-07-26 at 06:39 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Evolution is a mail client for a desktop
environment.  If someone wants always-on automated services then that's
what servers are for; there are service-side filtering systems such as
SIEVE.

Sorry, this is just so wrong.

What I think Adam is getting at is that using Evolution, a desktop
client, to redirect mail means that that redirection only occurs when
the application is running on the desktop. When it's not running, the
redirection doesn't happen.  It's the same as running an out-of-office
on your desktop, then turning the desktop off while you are out of the
office.  It's just something that is more suited to being run on an
always on server.

 When I press Send on an email I have an expectation from 30 years
of email clients that the mail goes.

But in this specific case you do not "press Send". It is the filter
action that is "sending" the email.

There is no excuse for not making immediate-send the default.  Even less for hiding it in an
obscure CLI setting.

Immediate send is the default for user initiated send.

This attitude (Get a server!) is ridiculous.  Using Evolution is not indicative of the skill or
inclination to stand up servers, any more than using Outlook is indicative of the skill or
inclination to code in C# for .NET.

Nobody is suggesting you run your own server if you don't want to,
however your email gets to you via a server surely. It is on that
server that filtering such as this should arguably happen. Many email
services already implement server side filtering (such as SIEVE) and
you may get a better experience by investigating what your mail server
provides.

P.