Re: [Evolution] Evolution hangs if Gnome Keyring isn't open before starting

Thank you, Pete. Seahorse works fine. Dbus is installed and running. I was just trying to figure out whether it is running correctly using dbus-monitor to compare signals when Chrome vs. Evolution are started with a locked keyring. (Don't know what I'm doing here; just guessing.) And the first time I ran Evolution with dbus-monitor active, I actually got the password prompt; i.e., it is now working correctly. I have no idea what changed (or what I did) to make it work, but at least for the moment all is well. Will get back to it if it starts acting up again.

Thank you all for your help.

On Sun, Dec 19, 2021, at 11:18 AM, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Sun, 2021-12-19 at 10:43 -0500, Julius Merphik via evolution-list
wrote:
> Thanks, Pete and others. I do know the different between seahorse and
> gnome-keyring.

Possibly, but others seemed to be getting them confused.

> 2. When I start Evolution with the keyring locked, I am *not*
> prompted to enter my keyring password, and Evolution hangs. By
> contrast, when I start Chrome with the keyring locked, I am prompted
> to enter my keyring password.

What about seahorse?  Does that work OK? (To see if it is a difference
between gnome vs non-gnome application.)

> Again, I conclude that the issue is with Evolution. Is my reasoning
> faulty?

It's possible that chrome uses a different mechanism for accessing the
gnome-keyring. Is DBus functioning correctly on your system?

The bottom line is that I, and many, many others, have been using
evolution with gnome-keyring without any problems for many years and
versions.  If there was an issue with evolution and passwords there
would be a lot more noise about it as it's a fundamental feature. The
conclusion then is that the issue is with your setup and not with
evolution.

P.