Re: [Evolution] Evolution hangs if Gnome Keyring isn't open before starting

Thanks for replies, everyone. I use auto-login on Ubuntu; hence the keyring is not automatically opened when I login.

If, after logging in but before unlocking the keyring, I:
=> Start Chrome: I get a prompt to enter the keyring password. Then start Evolution: All is well.
=> Start Evolution: I *do not* get a prompt to enter the keyring password; it just hangs. Then start Chrome: It hangs too.

Since I get a keyring prompt with Chrome, but not with Evolution, I concluded that the issue is with Evolution. That said, I don't know how it all works on the backend, so that's just a guess.

Is there a way of tracing the calls between Chrome/Evolution and the keyring, so that I can see what is going on on the backend? That might help see what (if anything) Chrome and Evolution are doing differently, and thus help isolate the issue.

(P.S. As an aside, the commonly mooted solution to the larger issue is to set a blank keyring password. This would be preferable to me, as it is a single-user machine with a fully encrypted hard drive. However, I have tried this many times, and it does not "stick"; i.e., after a few days or weeks the keyring, as if by magic, reacquires its password and I am back where I started. So I gave up on this.)

On Sun, Dec 19, 2021, at 1:11 AM, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list wrote:
On Sat, 2021-12-18 at 21:54 -0500, George Reeke wrote:
> On Sun, 2021-12-19 at 01:42 +0100, Ángel wrote:
> > Evolution asks the Keyring, and if it isn't there it would show the
> > password prompt (i.e. it it was working).
> > Note that if the keyring wasn't running it should be activated
> > automatically.

> I can confirm that I have seen the same problem for a long time
> with my older CentOS-7-supplied Evolution 3.28.5 under Mate.
> I can add that when I log in after a bootup, Seahorse is not running.
> If I start evolution first, it asks for the password. [snip]

Hi,

if I log in by lightdm after startup, then start Evolution and right
after that retrieve emails, I have nothing to do. If I wait for a while
before retrieving emails, a small window opens, asking for the password.

$ lsb_release -d; pacman -Q evolution lightdm openbox seahorse
evolution 3.42.2-1
lightdm 1:1.30.0-4
openbox 3.6.1-8
seahorse 1:41.0-2