Re: [Evolution] Open links in the background? (Firefox)

On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 18:26:16 +0100, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:
On Wed, 2021-12-15 at 06:18 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
It only works, if Firefox is already running.
To workaround window issues scripts using the command wmctrl and
the command xdotool are usually helpful. However, in this case a
mailer providing an option to chose the external browser or script
would be helpful. I don't know if Evolution has got such an option
or if it does
run the default browser.

Evolution relies on XDG; you can set the browser to any command you'd
like.

This is a big problem, since all apps that rely on xdg would use the
chosen default browser by this command. For a mailer like e.g. Claws,
that allows to chose the browser or script by the Claws presets, it
would be very easy to run a script that does use any browser, even the
xdg browser and to give the Claws window focus by wmctrl. You don't
want to run the same script giving focus to Claws, when opening a link
by Evolution. IOW this might be a missing feature for Evolution.
Actually I didn't check if such a feature does already exist for
Evolution, too. I just haven't seen one.

Hm, if xdg runs the same script for all apps that want to open the
default browser, it would be possible to get the window that is focused
when clicking the link, to buffer that window information and after
running the browser and losing focus, to immediately set focus back to
the buffered window. So I was mistaken, xdg is good enough and should
be usable to launch a script using wmctrl and maybe xdotool.