Re: [Evolution] Mail merge?

On Fri, 2020-10-09 at 12:36 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sat, 2020-10-10 at 00:06 +1300, gnome via evolution-list wrote:
On Fri, 2020-10-09 at 11:59 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Have just installed Evolution version 3.30.5-1.1 (the default
in
Devuan).

That's several years old.

Not a programmer nor do I maintain any of this. I just use Devuan
because it works without the issues that some other systems provide
:)

As per the subject, I am scratching my head on sending emails
as
"mail
merge" - this is where I can put multiple addresses in the "to"
field,
send, and a little bit of behind-the-scenes magic means that
each
recipient gets ONLY their address, they don't get other
people's
addresses.

You mean BCC?

No I mean mail merge - each email is TO the person receiving it
rather
than a BCC which often trips spam filters. Your email is to you,
not to
someone else and BCC to you but only to you.

Evolution is a mail user agent (MUA), not a mail management system
(mass mailer, mailing list manager, etc.). The standard
interpretation
of the TO header is that each recipient gets a copy of the whole
message, including the TO header itself. I've never used an MUA that
does what you suggest (perhaps Thunderbird is an exception).

Yes, it's quite new. Only been around maybe 10 years in Thunderbird,
I'm sure that that horrid MS mess has had a version of it for some time
(at least as far back as 2010 from a quick DDG), power companies and
telcos and the like have been using it for decades (though email
versions only much more recent). Probably CLI mailers have had some way
of doing it for decades, though that'd be fairly easy to do via
scripting/batching I expect. I think I even vaguely remember doing
something like that with TimEd in Fidonet days (or maybe another
editor, but been a long time since I did any of that!).

Never said Evolution was anything other than an email client, but I've
come to expect to see this feature in clients (or at least as a plug
in) since I've been using it often for the last 6 or 7 years.

Anyway, as I said elsewhere it's late (or early), I'm drained, thanks
and good night :)