Re: [Evolution] Significant lag when composing emails

In the meantime, consider writing in plaintext if possible.

I tried that and it did not help as intended. However, surprisingly
it did reveal that the opposite is true. When I am writing in
plaintext mode, I have this excessive lag: each character being
delayed by some milliseconds and sometime more. Sometimes it freezes
while typing and then in a burst all characters come at once. When I
am writing in HTML mode, everything is fine. No noticeable amount of
lag. Again, this only happens when having a long "history of quoted
emails".
That is really surprising to me, but that is how it is. I have tried
with the version coming from the Ubuntu 18.04 repositories as well as
the flatpak developer version. It is basically the same for both.

It's certainly not something I have seen reported before - I admit I
don't compose emails with massive amounts of text, but I have never
noticed any laggy-ness with the composer - I've just tried a reply to a
550k mail and there was no issues.  How big are the emails? (Easiest
way to see is to add a 'Size' column to the message list window.)

If you reply using a different style - as a test - such as using an
attachment or inline style - is it still a problem. (Use Ctrl-Atl-R to
get a menu that allows the selection.)

Can you see how the system is responding in general - why is evolution
having problems? Is there something else on the system taking CPU time?
Memory?  Is evolution using a lot of memory? Is the system swapping
lots? What are the specs of the system? What GUI system are you using?

P.