[Evolution] View -> Show Deleted Messages doesn't keep them

I have set View -> Show Deleted Messages. When I delete a message, as expected, it draws a line through its row in the upper pane. But if new mail arrives, and maybe under some other circumstances, the row disappears and the message is in the trash folder.

Sometimes when I go to the trash folder and undelete a message, it disappears, as if I had emptied the trash -- but it's only that message that disappears, not all the trash. It's not back in the inbox; as far as I can tell, it's actually deleted.

Have I set up something wrong?

I'm using Evolution 3.30.5-1.1 on Debian Buster 10.4.