Looked a bit at MBOX support on Outlook.  It suffers the same problem of lots of importers,  but no direct opening of files.

I found https://sourceforge.net/projects/mbox-viewer/ which allows viewing and searching the MBOX files from windows.  I placed a copy of the viewer in the mbox sync directory.  It opens the archive without having to install anything.  No licensing restrictions which means I can safely leave copies of the app places.

I think this will be a working solution.  Cross Platform access with no proprietary archive format.  MBOX is supported by multiple mail applications and platforms so I am not as concerned including it in archives.

On 2020-01-07 5:17 pm, Ángel wrote:
On 2020-01-07 at 16:56 -0500, James Toebes wrote:
The issue with the IMAP solution is that it requires setting
up/maintaining an email server including user management.  It also
requires all machines with direct access.   All emails would have to
be in one server or I would have to maintain multiple servers.

A PST is a simple file that can  be backups,  copied,  stored on a
network share, thumb drive, and archived with a project.   individual
files that can be put in different locations.

Evolution supports saving emails to an mbox file.    It would be nice
if there was someway to link and not Import the file.  I have seen a
few options (have not investigated yet) that will allow mbox files in
outlook.   My aversion to importing is that it now creates a second
copy.

Create a new account in evolution of type ‘Standard Unix mbox spool
file’ (the account will only have a single folder) or ‘Standard Unix
mbox spool directory’ (you may have several folders -mbox files- in the
account, although it doesn't support subfolders)

I think your main problem will actually be getting Outlook to support
them.

Best regards