Re: [Evolution] Proposal regarding apparent race condition on Evolution start-up

Is it possible that that under KDE it is trying to use
ksecretservice because that happens to have already been started by
KDE?

Only if it provides the D-Bus service. I've been told, not so long ago,
that KDE still doesn't have org.freedesktop.secrets implementation. It
can be that things changed meanwhile.

As my curiosity got the better of me ... this from the ksecretservice
web page:

  https://community.kde.org/KDE_Utils/ksecretsservice

   "Originally, this project was started as a freedesktop.org
   specification, that one could find here [[1]]. This specification is
   for a DBus daemon providing a means for applications to securely
   store and retrieve secrets information. Under KDE, this is
   considered an implementation detail and KDE applications are
   supposed to use the client API described above. However, this
   implementation detail is important to be known for those users
   mixing KDE and GNOME, as the freedesktop.org specification is also
   implemented by gnome-keyring. These user should make a choice about
   the actual daemon they want to activate and then stick with it, as
   no migration tool exists (yet) from ksecretsserviced to gnome-
   keyring or viceversa."

That page is dated May 2016.

Other posts I've seen have said that ksecretservice has died and that
there are no other applications that provide the same functionality in
KDE. So probably a theoretical issue, not a real-life one.

P.