Re: [Evolution] Proposal regarding apparent race condition on Evolution start-up

        Hi,

On Tue, 2020-02-11 at 16:50 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
Am I right in thinking that libsecret doesn't specifically use gnome-
keyring?

As far as I know, libsecret talks to org.freedesktop.secrets D-Bus
service. It doesn't talk to a specific process, it uses whatever
implements it.

Is it possible that that under KDE it is trying to use
ksecretservice because that happens to have already been started by
KDE?

Only if it provides the D-Bus service. I've been told, not so long ago,
that KDE still doesn't have org.freedesktop.secrets implementation. It
can be that things changed meanwhile.

Can you have two "Secret Services" connected to D-BUS?

No, only one implementation of a well-known D-Bus name/service can run
at one moment, as far as I know.

If ksecretservice starts up, will it disconnect gnome-keyring from D-
BUS?

Most likely yes. The service provider can override some behavior, one
of them being whether it can be replaced by a new process. The eds
factories (evolution-addressbook-factory and the other from eds) had it
disabled till some ancient version, thus when users tried to run it
with debugging on, and the factory was already running, then the
process exited immediately. The current version allows replacement,
thus doing the same will close currently running process and the new
will become the D-Bus service provider.

I may confess that my knowledge of D-Bus is limited, the above are
things I recall and which I believe are still applicable.
        Bye,
        Milan