Re: [Evolution] Stuck on fetching POP3 mail, how to debug?

On Tue, 2020-08-25 at 09:37 +0200, Martin Wagner wrote:
Any thoughts or ideas? Any way to search in much more detail?

        Hi,
once you'll have things in that odd stuck state again, you can use gdb
to get the view on what the process does. It's important to have
installed debuginfo (dbg) packages for evolution-data-server,
evolution, glib2, glib-networking, maybe also for gnutls (though some
distros split the debuginfo into separate files, like libcamel,
libedataserver, and so on, which makes it harder to install all-in-
one).

You can get the backtrace with command like this:
   $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" -pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt
Please check the bt.txt for any private information, like passwords,
email address, server addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at
least (quotes for clarity only).

I sometimes face a long delay when downloading IMAP messages, the
process is waiting for a response from the server, when I check the
backtrace. It takes really long, something between a minute or two. The
funny part is when I select a different unloaded message, then it loads
immediately, the same when I move back to the previous message, which
makes me think that the problem is lower than in the libcamel
(evolution-data-server).
        Bye,
        Milan