[Evolution] Investigating lost POP mails

Hello,

I'm running Evolution (currently 3.22.6) from Debian stable, since many
many years, and I'm generally very happy with it. Except for today,
when I noted that some messages from the last week-end seem to have
been lost.

A less important account of mine is a POP gmx.net account. On Saturday,
I expected mails on this account and was surprised that they didn't
show up on Evolution. Re-clicking on Send/Receive for this account did
not have any effect, not even a small message "Fetching mail..." in the
status line. But when I logged on the web-mail, I saw two day's worth
of e-mail (about a dozen messages) in the account.

OK, I thought, at some point Evolution will download this, maybe after
a fresh program start. But in the end, the e-mails never ended up
anywhere in Evolution (I grepped through ~/.local/share/evolution/mail)
but they did get deleted from the server, as usual with POP without any
particular settings.

While these e-mails were not very important, this is worrying me a bit.
Particularly if this was not a one-off but might have happened before
and might happen again. My proofs are too thin to open a bug, that's
why I'm writing here. Of course, the problem might be purely on the
provider side. But I would love to have some kind of fat logfile for
the last days that would tell me details about what happened!

My current idea is to regularly send some kind of automated mail (or
digests of mailing lists) to the account, so I'd notice when anything
is missing, and keep Evolution running in debug mode, logging into a
file. Does anybody have a better idea how to investigate such a case?

Thank you for reading,
best regards
Viktor.