Re: [Evolution] How to delete single messages from the trash bin

On Sun, 2019-02-24 at 16:54 -0700, Zan Lynx wrote:
On 2/24/2019 1:16 PM, Bradley G Ward via evolution-list wrote:
This may be, and probably is, a basic question.  But how can I delete
single messages from the trash bin so that I can reduce the amount of
messages that are in there?

I've searched the Help option which tells me how to expunge an entire
folder but I can't find how to do it for individual messages.  I can
highlight the message but the option to mark the actual message is
greyed out.

Umm. There's something basically wrong here.

Are you expecting *any* message in a Trash folder to still be there
tomorrow? In a week? A month?

Because you are *wrong*. If there's a folder named Trash in *any*
program, expect things in there to *vanish at any time*.

Windows OS, for example, will automatically clean up Trash files and
Temporary files if you run low on disk space.

The Thunderbird email program will automatically delete and "compact"
Trash folders, although it will ask you first. It will ask one time
only, if you check the checkbox to not ask again, I believe.

Trash exists only so that you can change your mind about a deletion, and
pretty quickly, not in a month.

If you want to have emails that you aren't sure about deleting, don't
put them in Trash, make a folder for them and put them in there instead.

No, this is not how Evolution Trash works.

The fundamental model in Evolution follows the IMAP paradigm, in which
deleted messages are merely marked for deletion, not removed. Actually
removing them is called "expunging". In the Evo interface the Trash
folder is a search folder by default, so the "deleted" messages stay in
their original folders but are merely marked for deletion. Toggle the
View->Show Deleted Messages option to see them.

In recent versions of Evo it's possible to configure Trash as a real
folder (Preferences-><account>->Defaults), mainly to accommodate
server-side systems that don't follow the IMAP model correctly, e.g.
Exchange or Gmail. In these cases, Trash is handled by the server so
may be deleted or compacted according to its rules, but by default Evo
will only expunge Trash when you explicitly request it (File->Empty
Trash), or set one of the options under Delete Mail in Preferences-
Defaults.

poc