Re: [Evolution] Evolution & Gmail not working correctly

On Fri, 2018-09-07 at 17:16 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
It all depends on your distro.  LTS or Enterprise versions tend not
to majorly update things for stability. But whereas most such distros
are happy to update minor versions because they are usually bug
fixes, Ubuntu, for some reason, seems to stick to the same minor
version - i.e. 3.28.1, whereas it should be on 3.28.5.

The problem is that Ubuntu doesn't consider Evolution to be part of the
"main" repository, because it's not the standard mail client that
Ubuntu supplies (I believe their standard mail client is Thunderbird).

Personally I think this is a mistake, although at one point it may have
made sense since Thunderbird, while less capable than Evolution, had
(probably for the same reason) less issues.  I'm not convinced that's
decision is still correct, especially given Ubuntu's recent move to be
closer to Gnome.  Maybe it can be revisited between now and Ubuntu
20.04 LTS.

In any event, currently Ubuntu has Evolution in the "universe"
repository and the rules for software updating in "universe", even on
LTS releases, are much different than "main":

  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

All that being said, there is currently an upgrade to Evolution 3.28.5
in the Ubuntu 18.04 "proposed" repo.  Unfortunately I know of no way to
understand why the package is still in "proposed" since it was pushed
there on Aug 13... I had thought proposed packages move into the
mainline faster than that.  Maybe some issue was identified.  Jeremy
has been known to drop in here; maybe he has some insight.

https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/pending-sru.html
(search for evolution)

Of course anyone can add the "proposed" repository to their system and
install proposed updates, if they want to.  Be aware that these are not
finally approved so there may be issues.  You might want to consider
only adding proposed for "universe" (I don't know how well that will
work).

More info:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed