[Evolution] Evolution & Gmail not working correctly

I've been a long time user of Evolution.

no real problems until I upgraded Ubuntu from 16.04 to 18.04.1

Evolution seems to have updated to 3.28.1-2

I found older/dated, on-line references to my problem, but zero
solutions.

seems Evolution doesn't work well with 0Auth2 authentication?

I can change to a password and that works, for a while,
then Evolution keeps wanting to revert back to 0Auth2 and the cycle
keeps repeating.

everything worked okay before the update.

what should I be doing? because all the old solutions I've seen don't
apply as I've already got things set up correctly (based upon those
suggestions)