Re: [Evolution] public folder calendars

On Fri, 2018-07-27 at 19:32 -0500, tom via evolution-list wrote:
I'm using evolution 3.28.4 on arch linux.

On Sat, 2018-07-28 at 19:32 -0500, tom via evolution-list wrote:
Evolution was touted as an Outlook clone in an article (or that's what
it sounded like)

Hi,

perhaps I missed something, when I skim the text of the official
Evolution upstream Wiki URLs provided by the Arch Linux packages. Is
there mentioned, that Evolution is an "Outlook clone"?

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Si evolution-ews | grep Description
Description     : MS Exchange integration through Exchange Web Services
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Si evolution-ews | grep URL
URL             : https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/EWS
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi evolution | grep Description
Description     : Manage your email, contacts and schedule
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi evolution | grep URL
URL             : https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution

Even the Arch Wiki doesn't claim that Evolution is an "Outlook clone"
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME/Evolution .

In general a lot of people propagate Linux as a Microsoft Windows
replacement. A lot of people used Microsoft Windows and then migrated to
Linux. I dislike this attitude. If Windows does fit a user's needs, the
best approach is to stay with Windows. It doesn't make sense to use
Linux, if Microsoft Windows and the applications for this operating
system, do fit to a user's needs.

If Linux does fit better to a user's needs, than Microsoft Windows does,
it makes sense to use Linux. If for some reason, one or a few
applications are needed, that are only provided for Microsoft Windows or
if the Linux versions don't work properly, a solution is to use
virtualisation.

I tested the Linux version of
https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/ . It's buggy, so I tested
if the Windows version does work when using it with wine. It does!

Actually I'm using
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/multilib/x86_64/wine-staging/ .

Another application I need, iTunes, to e.g. share audio production files
between an iPad and a Linux PC, doesn't work when using wine, so I'm
using a Windows 7 guest, running on VirtualBox from the Oracle binary,
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/virtualbox-bin/ .

I experienced the VirtualBox Arch Linux package as way to buggy,
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/virtualbox/ and
other virtualisations are way to complicated to set up for my taste.

If you need Linux and Evolution or another Linux MUA should be unable to
do what you need, after reasonable effort trying to get it working,
consider to test your favourite Microsoft Windows application using
wine, VirtualBox, KVM, Xen, VMware, or QEMU.

2 Cents,
Ralf