Re: [Evolution] Adding a new google account ignores manually set auth methods on imap/smtp

On Tue, 2018-08-28 at 10:51 +0200, Torsten Krah wrote:
I did not check both boxes, they were unchecked - deleted the account
and created it again.
They were not checked but still it was again on OAuth2 - sounds like
a bug, do you agree?

        Hi,
just to not have any misunderstanding on my side:
a) File->New->Mail Account
b) fill user gmail com as the email address
c) keep the "Look up for settings based on the email domain" checked
d) click the Next button, which does the lookup and then moves directly
   to the Summary page, where the info about the account is shown,
   the same as the checks for contacts and calendar parts, both unchecked
e) then you keep all as is, maybe rename the account, and click Finish.

Is that correct? If so, then it's expected behaviour, the automatic
setup also prefers OAuth2. You can, instead of clicking Finish, click
Previous and change whatever you want in the preconfigured settings. If
these changes do not stick, when you left the check boxes for contacts
and calendar unchecked, then yes, it can be considered a bug. At least
until Google really disables the non-OAuth2 authentications for all the
services, when there will be no other option than to use OAuth2.

In any case, even there didn't land many fixes, there landed some, thus
testing the behaviour on the recent stable version (3.28.5 at the
moment) will be better, because things get fixed sometimes, especially
the one with OAuth2 token parsing, and the newer versions have it all
fixed, but you do not use it, because your distribution doesn't update
the package (I suppose so, as I believe you do regular updates in your
distribution's package manager).

A workaround for your unfixed (not-updated) evolution is to use GNOME
Online Accounts (GOA), create a Google account there and let evolution
pick the settings, together with the OAuth2 token, which GOA provides.

I may sound tough above, but there is no offense meant. You do not have
much influence on the distribution's packager will to follow recent
upstream fixes and releases, which is a pita, but it is as it is.
        Bye,
        Milan