Re: [Evolution] [solved] Cannot get POP summary: Socket I/O timed out

On Sat, 2017-03-18 at 09:44 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 08:26:40 +0000, Steve T via evolution-list wrote:
It's all a bit odd - as given that Evolution was not being updated when
the socket issue first appeared for me, it seemed that the issue was at
the Yahoo end.

In the first place, when it was required to disable the POP extensions,
it was without doubt changes made by Yahoo, to their servers.

caveat: I don't use POP.

Surely all this is because Yahoo have mucked up one of the extensions
(I suspect PIPELINING), but there are lots of other "extensions" that
also get turned off when you tell Evo not to use extensions - some of
those are probably useful ones that you have been using without knowing
it.

The duplicate messages are because the "UIDL" capability is an
extension, and that is used to keep track of which messages have
already been dowloaded.

The slowness is because PIPELINING is an extension so Evo *must* wait
to be told that a command has completed before issuing a new command.

Extended error codes are an extension - so if something goes wrong, Evo
doesn't know what it is, all that Evo can see is '+OK' or '-ERR'.

The basic set of POP commands is very restricted.

P.