Re: [Evolution] [solved] Cannot get POP summary: Socket I/O timed out

PS:

Now the slow account is fast again :).

Claws didn't suffer from this performance issue, OTOH Evolution is set
up to delete messages from the server after one day, while Claws keeps
the mails on the server.

Thinking back, I had the same issue in as much as after checking the 'disable pop3...' , I found that all the mails in my yahoo accounts were downloaded again. I deleted the duplicates from within Evolution. But even after the Yahoo accounts were then effectively up to date with what I had in Evolution, the fetching of mail was extremely slow - so the speed issue wasn't just caused by the volume of mail being downloaded.
In my case, I always leave the mail on the POP server (it's never deleted via Evolution), and then manually delete the mail from the Yahoo accounts when I feel it's building up too much.

I didn't change any other config option within Evolution.

So in my case:
- I had an old version of Evolution (not sure now which version  it was) that was not being updated as FC22 was EOL - so the socket issue did not appear to be Evolution or 'client' based. It seemed to be something caused by a change at the Yahoo end.
- Changing the Evolution config (in FC22) to check the 'diasble pop3 extensions'  - stopped the socket issue, but downloaded all the mail again from those accounts - AND introduced a speed issue
- Upgrading to FC24 and then Evolution 3.20.5 had no impact on the speed issue - it was still exceedingly slow getting mail for the Yahoo accounts.
- Changing the Evolution config in 3.20.5 (FC24) to revert the 'disable pop3 extensions' to unchecked, has now made the Yahoo accounts work as they used to. The speed issue has disappeared AND the socket issue has also disappeared.

It's all a bit odd - as given that Evolution was not being updated when the socket issue first appeared for me, it seemed that the issue was at the Yahoo end. But after upgrading to FC24 and a later version of Evolution, the self same config settings  as appeared to cause the socket error, all now work fine.