Re: [Evolution] Debugging automatic filter application

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 12:44 AM, Milan Crha <mcrha redhat com> wrote:
On Mon, 2017-02-13 at 23:51 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-02-13 at 15:16 -0800, Aditya Prasad wrote:
> > * I tried the mail filters-log-actions and found I only get output
> > when
> > manually applying filters.
>
> (This is very old information so may not still be valid, but
> I've used it in the past)
>
> There are a couple of Gconf settings to enable filter logging:

        Hi,
you are right, GConf is too old, not used for years. Up to date
information is in the User Documentation, namely here:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-filters-not-working.html.en

If I read Aditya's message properly, then it had been used.

Indeed, that's what I followed.

I found the logging inefficient for real debugging purposes of the
filters, because it only logs what succeeded, not what failed. My
recent issue was that the value I've been checking for in the filter
rule didn't actually match the value the filter itself read from the
message. That is, it can depend on the actual filter rules and the used
values whether they are applied or not.

Aditya, you mentioned POP account, there is no distinguishing between
unread and newly recognized message, they behave the same. The filters
are run when the message is copied into On This Computer/Inbox.
I also do not see any option to disable filtering for POP accounts,
thus the filters should be applied always for newly received messages
in the POP account.

Did the filters apply properly when you executed them manually?

Yes.

You mentioned that the log contained some information only when you
manually applied them, but I'm unsure whether it were filters you
expected to be run automatically or any other.

Same filters. They work manually, but nothing runs automatically.

Cheers,
Aditya

        Bye,
        Milan