[Evolution] Debugging automatic filter application

I can't figure out why filters are not being applied automatically when downloading from my (POP) server. Does anyone have debugging tips?

* I've made sure I checked "Apply filters to new messages in all folders" (I also tried "Apply filters to new messages in Inbox on this server").

* I don't think I have any other clients fetching mail. I'm not sure how to check whether my incoming mail is marked "new" (as opposed to just "unread"), but even if I found out, it may be hard to find the rogue client.

* I tried the mail filters-log-actions and found I only get output when manually applying filters.

I switched to Evolution from Thunderbird because the latter's "threaded view" plugin is buggy. Honest question: can anyone recommend a mail client where both these things work nicely? (Fingers crossed that I'm just missing something simple in Evolution...).

I'm running 3.18.5.2 on Ubuntu 16.04.1.

Thanks!