Re: [Evolution] open

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 15:32:11 +0200, Gottfried wrote:
Could it be a problem though, that evolution, thunderbird and
clawsmail in one system don't like each other? or may just two of them.

Hi,

let's ignore the dependency tree and optional dependencies and just
take a look at the direct hard dependencies of a distro, that doesn't
split software from upstream into several packages. Assuming the
packagers of your distro aren't idiots, they compile against the
appropriate dependencies, so regarding the versions of the dependencies
there aren't issues, as long as the official repositories follow a
reasonable policy. I don't use Thunderbird, but Sylpheed, Claws Mail
and Evolution.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Q evolution evolution-data-server evolution-bogofilter
evolution-spamassassin sylpheed claws-mail-git
evolution 3.26.3-1
evolution-data-server 3.26.3-1
evolution-bogofilter 3.26.3-1
evolution-spamassassin 3.26.3-1
sylpheed 3.6.0-3
claws-mail-git 3.16.0.r3.g174c03f19-1
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi evolution evolution-data-server evolution-bogofilter
evolution-spamassassin sylpheed claws-mail-git | grep Depends\ On
Depends On      : gnome-desktop  evolution-data-server  libcanberra  libpst  libytnef  dconf  gtkspell3
libcryptui  gnome-autoar
Depends On      : gnome-online-accounts  nss  krb5  libgweather  libical  db  libgdata  libphonenumber
Depends On      : evolution=3.26.3  bogofilter
Depends On      : evolution=3.26.3  spamassassin
Depends On      : compface  gpgme  gtkspell
Depends On      : gtk2  gnutls  startup-notification  enchant  gpgme  libetpan  compface  libsm  dbus-glib
hicolor-icon-theme  desktop-file-utils
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio/ apt -qq list claws-mail-git
claws-mail-git/now 3.16.0-3-g174c03-1 amd64 [installed,local]
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl /mnt/moonstudio/home/weremouse/ | grep archlinux
lrwxrwxrwx  1 rocketmouse users         43 Oct  6  2015 .bogofilter ->
/mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/.bogofilter
lrwxrwxrwx  1 rocketmouse users         43 Oct  6  2015 .claws-mail ->
/mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/.claws-mail
lrwxrwxrwx  1 rocketmouse users         42 Oct  6  2015 Claws Mail -> /mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/Claws
Mail
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio/ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:
core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        16.04
Codename:       xenial
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    1.4
Distributor ID: Arch
Release:        rolling
Codename:       n/a

I'm using POP accounts. Sylpheed, Claws and Evolution all use their own
directories to store emails, while only Claws and Evolution handle the
same POP servers to send and receive mails + they don't use the same
bogofilter as Sylpheed does and only Claws from Arch and Ubuntu
completely share all folders.

I never experienced that one MUA affected the other MUA, the only
positive impact is, that they share bogofilter, this has got
no negative affect.

I could imagine one issue. I'm doing everything manually, IOW I don't
automatically send queued messages and I don't automatically retrieve
messages, so there can't be any conflict. I guess if different MUAs
should access the same server at the same time, this anyway shouldn't
cause an issue, but you never know.

The worst side of the problem is that I don't find warnings or
comments or anything indicating any error. It just starts and hangs
there.

Open a terminal and launch evolution from there.

  evolution

For posting purpose (at https://pastebin.com/ or similar) you could
redirect all output to a log file.

  evolution > /tmp/evolution.0.log 2>&1

My backup is about 4.2 GB big (just emails), is that getting to the
core of the problem?

It shouldn't be the culprit. I could imagine that an advanced search
could become an issue, but it shouldn't affect general duty.

Regards,
Ralf

--
$ pacman -Q linux{,-rt{,-cornflower,-pussytoes}}|awk '{print $2}'
4.14.9-1