Re: [Evolution] open

On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 12:25 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 10:02 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 06:39 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 17:53:03 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Uninstalled it, reinstalled it.

Virtually always a waste of time. Linux isn't Windows.

Not necessarily. For example take Ubuntu's apt.

"Removing a package removes all packaged data, but leaves usually
small (modified) user configuration files behind, in case the
remove was an accident. Just issuing an installation request
for the accidentally removed package will restore its function as
before in that case. On the other hand you can get rid of
these leftovers by calling purge even on already removed packages. Note
that this does not affect any data or configuration stored
in your home directory." -
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/zesty/man8/apt.8.html

If an Ubuntu user should mess up a config in e.g. /etc, then
uninstalling a package using "purge" and after that installing it again
very well could solve an issue.

How is this relevant to Evolution?

It's relevant for this thread, since you spread misinformation about
Linux. Next time users reading this don't try to solve an issue, that
actually could be solved by purging and after that installing a package.

I wasn't aware I was 'spreading misinformation about Linux'. Apparently
Ubuntu has this feature called 'purge' which I've never heard of. Maybe
it comes from Debian, which I don't use. In any case a special 'purge'
option is not a standard feature of Linux. In the case of rpm-based
distros, including Fedora which I use, this the default behaviour.

I also see from your quote that '... this does not affect any data or
configuration stored in your home directory'. My recommendation to the
OP was to try a new configuration in a separate Linux account, which
*will* effectively eliminate the effects of any per-user configuration.
Since Evolution only stores config information in the user account,
using 'purge' is indeed a waste of time in the case of Evolution.

And I note that my actual statement was 'virtually always a waste of
time', which I maintain is the exact truth. The number of times this is
going to correct a problem, either by explicitly deleting config files
or by using something like 'purge' is a in my experience a tiny
minority of cases. In other words the problem is almost always
somewhere else.

You could have written that purging Evolution and then installing it
again, doesn't make much sense, but instead you claimed: "Virtually
always a waste of time. Linux isn't Windows." How is Windows relevant in
the context of this thread?

Because reinstalling software is a standard recommendation when a
Windows user has a problem. It is definitely not a standard
recommendation in Linux.

poc